The Mighty Oat: 5 Health Benefits of Oats
Are you interested in introducing oats to your diet this year and not sure where to start?
At rND we utilize oats to create our vegan, gluten-free bread not only to provide alternatives to those with gluten sensitivities but because oats offer a variety of health benefits. We are going to break down 5 main benefits of the mighty oat!
1. Excellent source of Fibre
First and foremost, oats are an excellent source of fiber that is found primarily in the form of beta-glucans (1). The fiber content of oats has a wide range of benefits including the maintenance of a healthy digestive system and the prevention of constipation.
Eating oats has been clinically proven to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease (2).
2. Great Source of Protein
Oats are also a great source of protein. The hull-less oat kernel, similar to what we use in our bakery, ranges from 12 to 24%, the highest of any cereal grain (3).
According to the W.H.O. oat protein has an equivalent quality to soy protein making them a great option for vegetarians and vegans and those looking to add more plant-based protein to their diet.
3. Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
In addition to fiber and protein, oats are also a rich source of vitamins and minerals. This includes vitamins B1, B2, and E, as well as minerals like zinc, magnesium, and selenium (4).
These nutrients are essential for maintaining a healthy immune system and keeping your body functioning properly.
4. Low Glycemic Index
Another benefit of oats is that they have a low glycemic index (GI) value, which means they don't cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels (5).
This is important for people with diabetes or those trying to maintain a healthy weight because oats can help keep you feeling full longer and prevent overeating.
5. Great Way to Add Whole Grains to Your Diet
Finally, oats are a great option for those looking to add more whole grains to their diet.
Whole grains are an important part of a healthy diet, as they provide essential nutrients and can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Did you know our oats are grown locally in Eastern Ontario?
Oats are a versatile and delicious food that offer a wide range of health benefits. They are an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals, and have a low glycemic index value.
Whether you're looking to improve your heart health, maintain a healthy weight, or simply add more whole grains to your diet, oats are a great choice and why rND bakery puts them in our bread and bagels.
Shop our products here.
- Wani SA, Shah TR, Bazaria B, Nayik GA, Gull A, Muazffar K, Kumar P (2014) Oats as a functional food: A review. Universal Journal of Pharmacy 03:14-20
- Mathews R, Kamil A, Chu Y (2020) Global review of heart health claims for oat beta-glucan products. Nutrition Reviews 78 (Supplement_1): 78-97.
- Lasztity R (1999). General characterization of the chemical composition of cereal grains. The structure of the cereal grain. In cereal chemistry, Akademiai Kiado. Budapest, pp. 13-24.
- United States Department of Agriculture: FoodData Centre (2019-2020).
- Hou Q, Li Y, Li L, Cheng G, Sun X, Li S, Tian H (2015) The metabolic effects of oats intake in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrients. 7(12):10369-87.